Saturday, March 24, 2012

Sudden Turn of Events

Monday, March 19, 2012, started out to be a usual day but did not end that way. 
I called my husband, Bob, during my lunch break, something I don't usually do, and he sounded very tired, but I knew he WAS tired so didn't think much of it.  I returned to work after lunch and then received a phone call from Bob at 2:45 p.m.  I don't remember what he said initially, but I knew something wasn't right and asked him if he was feeling okay.  He responded, "No!  Call 9-1-1!"
"Are you serious?" I asked.
"Yes!  I need you to call 9-1-1!"
"Where are you?" Bob owns a vending business and travels around locally, restocking the machines.  He had gone to work as usual that morning, but I had no idea where he was when he called.
"I"m on Miami!" he gasped.  "Oh, God, it hurts!  Please make it stop hurting!"
"What hurts?"
"My chest!  It feels like an elephant is sitting on my chest!  I can't breathe!"  Bob's voice was stressed and he gasped for air. 
"You're driving in the van?"
"Yes, I'm going home!  Call 9-1-1!"
"You should call; you know where you are!"
"I'm going home; have them meet me there!  I'm turning on Lumley now!"
Once he told me that, I knew where he was, and the thought came to me that he should get himself to the new WakeMed Healthplex Center 2-3 miles from our house.  I could tell Bob was frantic, and I was helpless.  "Okay, Bob, don't go home!  Try to get yourself to that new ER facility at the end of TW Alexander!"
"Okay, but it hurts!  I can't breathe!"
I spent the next few minutes trying to calm Bob down as I kept talking to him as he drove.  Every 30 seconds I asked him where he was, and when he had to stop at the stoplight to cross Rt. 70, I was wondering if he'd make it.  I wasn't thinking a heart attack, but I knew that something was seriously wrong. 
"This light is so long!" Bob exclaimed.  "Change, please change!"
After the light changed, Bob found the entrance to the ER facility, and once he parked the van, I told him I was on my way and hung up.  It took me about 15 minutes to arrive.
When I got there, the waiting room was empty.  Since the place is new, few people know it's there.  (When it opened, I had jokingly told Bob that it would be a good place to go if we ever had an emergency since it was so close to our house.)  I was immediately taken back and saw a doctor who told me that Bob was going to be okay and that he suffered a heart attack.  I couldn't believe it!  Heart attack?!  Sure, he's 64, but he's not overweight, is active and strong, doesn't smoke or drink, and doesn't have high blood pressure or high cholesterol!  Heart attack?! 
The doctor explained that Bob was going to be transferred by ambulance to WakeMed Raleigh Heart Center, where the blockages in his heart would be cleared and stents inserted.  When I got to see Bob, he was sitting up on a gurney with IVs in him and sensors and wires all over his chest.  He was awake and appearing rather stunned, but otherwise handling things well. 
Within ten minutes, the ambulance arrived.  He was loaded in and whisked off while I waited for driving directions to get to where I needed to go.  When I stepped outside, I heard an ambulance siren in the distance; I later learned it was his.
I arrived at the Heart Center about 35 minutes later, had my car parked with a valet service, and was told where to go.  Once in the waiting room, I made a phone call to one of Bob's daughters and asked her to pass on the information to the others.  I called my daughter and son and friends in church.  Family soon arrived, for which I was very grateful.  With each new family member's arrival, I had to tell the story again of how Bob drove himself to the ER. 
I can't even remember what time the doctor came out, but the news was good.  Bob had 3 blockages in his heart - one 85%, another 90%, and still another at 99% blocked, which of course was the one that had triggered the event.  Stents had been placed in the arteries after the blockage had been cleared, and everything looked good.  Bob came through the procedure well.
About 15 minutes later, Bob was being wheeled through the hall, and we went to his room, arriving before he did.  One of the first things he asked was when he could go home.
I'll continue this in another blog, hopefully tomorrow, but we are so very thankful to God for his provision through this event.

No comments:

Post a Comment