Monday, March 26, 2012

Hospital Stay

Once in the room, Bob was talking animatedly and asking when he could go home from the hospital! When he actually understood that he had to stay 1 or 2 nights, he realized the seriousness of his condition. 
Family was gathered round.  Bob didn't get any rest, that's for sure.  He kept asking for food and lifting his head as he spoke, but he was supposed to lay flat until the cath that had been placed in his vein in his groin was removed, and that couldn't happen until his blood count (whatever they were counting) was below 170.  At 7:30 p.m. it was down to 175, so they couldn't remove it yet.  This had to do with clotting of his blood so he wouldn't bleed profusely once the cath was removed. 
Around that time, I had to retrieve my car from the valet service that had parked it for me when I followed the ambulance to the hospital.  As I was walking to get it and park it so I knew where it was, Bob's mother called on his phone, which I had with me.  I assured her he was doing well and that I would have him call her once I got back to the room, which I did.  He re-assured his mother he was fine and that everything was going to be okay.  She was so glad to hear his voice!
Eventually, family filtered out as night approached.  Kristen, Bob's youngest daughter, and her hsuband Billy were still there when Bob's blood count finally dropped down to 136 the next time it was checked, and the cath could be removed.  With that process on the horizon, Kristen and Billy went home.  I think shortly afterward a small meal was brought to Bob, the first food he'd had since the morning.  I was not allowed to stay during the cath removal procedure, so I went to the small waiting room down the hall and called my sisters, one in Florida and the other in Kansas, to let them know what had happened.  By the time my calls were complete, I was able to be with Bob again. 
The removal involved pressing down very hard on Bob's body as the cath was pulled out so bleeding was stopped, and this was done for about 10 minutes.  Afterward, a compression bandage was applied, which was long, went in a crosswise fashion, and had a huge wad of gauze under it.  This kept more pressure on the vein.  (Bob developed a huge, black bruise from this procedure due to the blood thinning drugs he'd been given.)  Bob had to continue lying flat for 4 more hours.  I finally left the hospital at 10:30 pm, exhausted but relieved that he was going to be fine.
Bob later told me that he didn't get much sleep all night as he was awakened by nurses constantly checking his blood pressure and the air mattress inflating and deflating on a regular basis.  Billy and Drew, 2 of Bob's son-in-laws, had driven to the ER where he'd initially received treatment and drove his van back to the house; they then retrieved some personal items for Bob, including his CPAP machine for his sleep apnea.  Even though he had this during the night, there was too much activity for him to get much sleep.  He was finally able to get up and use the restroom at 1:30 a.m.
I got little sleep as well as there were thunderstorms pounding our area in the wee hours of the morning.  I got up at 6:30 a.m. and started laundry; I responded to numerous e-mails; I paid bills on-line; I called people.  I packed Bob an overnight bag and some reading material.  I finally returned to the hospital around 11 a.m., still exhausted.
The day was uneventful, thank goodness.  More people came to visit, and we enjoyed their company.  Bob received numerous calls on his cell phone from friends in his chorus and from our church.  I ate lunch with him -- extra trays blessed me with a great meal!  WakeMed, your meals are very good!  I was impressed with the quality and quantity of the food.  Bob ate every bit on his plate; he was hungry!  Evening came, and with it more visitors.  Bob was able to get up and walk around and use the restroom.  It was amazing to see him do that so soon after the heart attack.
I left the hospital around 8:30 p.m.; I was afraid I'd fall asleep while driving, I was so tired.  As soon as I headed home on I-40, I saw lightning in the distance, and I drove right toward the storm.  The streaks of lightning in the sky were awesome, shooting from east to west and to the ground in brilliant flashes.  Thankfully, I arrived home about 2 minutes before another deluge began.  At least the thunder wasn't so loud that it kept me awake when I collapsed into bed, getting less than 6 hours of sleep after responding to e-mails again.
In the morning, I hurried off to the hospital anticipating that Bob would be discharged.  His doctors had already been to see him when I arrived around 9 a.m., and he was allowed to go home, but that process took all day!
Again, this will have to be continued -- too much to write about in one sitting! 
This was a day the Lord made -- He makes every day, and we are to rejoice and be glad in it! 

No comments:

Post a Comment