Thursday, August 4, 2011

Waiting

Tomorrow is the doctor's appointment that will give me the go-ahead to return to work or keep me out of work for longer.  I'll get the results of my latest MRI, and I'm really curious as to what is causing the left-side back pain.  Some days the pain is minimal; other days it's almost debilitating.  Doing too much of anything causes it to flare up and my back to burn with pain, so I limit what I do, but sometimes the pain seems to come of its own volition. 
I can't believe that the last time I worked was April 29!  Three months have passed, and in that time, spring changed to summer and summer is now full throttle.  It just doesn't seem possible that I've been out of work with this back problem for so long.  I feel disconnected from my job -- which I am -- and wonder how in the world I'll get reacclimiated when I return, whenever that will be.  Before long, summer will be winding down -- especially in the northern tier of states -- and the days are already getting shorter.  With my first back surgery, I was at home during the winter solstice, and this time, I was home for the summer solstice.  Two extremes, two opposites, and the seasons move on without me doing anything to assist.
I've been watching a birdhouse, one that my granddaughter painted in early spring, because there is a family of wrens in it; I have no idea how many chicks there are because I can't see inside.  The parents have been doggedly bringing insects, caterpillars, and other assorted insects to their young, and I've wondered how in the world those little birds survive this heat.  We've known about them being there for almost two weeks, so they must be getting ready to fledge, and they have endured days of 100+ degree heat several times, yet they are out there chirping like mad when a parent shows up in the portal with something to eat.  How do they survive without water?  How do they survive being packed tightly together in the heat?  How do they survive when the birdhouse swings gently in the blistering sun? 
Then I remember that God takes care of them, that He will take care of me, and that He takes care of all of His children.  The child in me is happy to forever be God's child.  I can always be dependent upon Him. 

No comments:

Post a Comment