Sunday, February 26, 2012

Simple Lesson

Okay, I know it's been way to loong since I posted, but I've been busy!  My job has required a level of work for me that makes it difficult to leave my desk and get a drink of water or coffee!  As most of you probably know, when you come home, you want to just sit and not do anything, but most of us don't have that luxury.  Dinner to prepare, laundry to wash, kids who need time and attention, grocery shopping, cleaning, etc. calls to us, and we MUST answer!  I'd dare to say that most of us have other things to do besides the ordinary, too, and my project has been my book.  I've spent tedious hours going over the manuscript and came up with over 60 errors/changes that had to be made, but those are done and now I have to look at it again to make sure everything is set so it can go to press.  The jacket is ready, and once I sign off on both the jacket and interior, things will move forward.
I had a little scare at the beginning of the week.  I developed back pain beginning Saturday afternoon, and it intensified so much so that I left work at noon on Monday, called my orthopedic surgeon, and went to see him at 4 p.m.  X-rays showed I had soft tissue swelling at the surgical site due to calcification of the spine.  I was given tapered Prednisone and a muscle relaxer and told to take it easy, so I took Tuesday off and did nothing but sit at my computer and work on the book with the heatpad on my back.  Friday morning was the first day I had no pain, so I was greatly relieved that there's nothing else going out of whack in my back!
When I woke Friday, the alarm wasn't set to go off for another 45 minutes, so I crawled out of bed, dressed and headed out the door for a brisk walk.  We were enjoying very warm weather for several days in this area so I wanted to take advantage of it because storms were on our doorstep and would sweep in much cooler temperatures.  As I walked down the street that connects to ours and which is the main street through our development, I saw an old truck parked at the curb.  I'd seen this truck before -- last summer some men were working on it in the driveway of one of the houses.  It looked much better now as the interior had been restored and the exterior was in the process of being done, leaving the truck body with gray and red patches. 
Then God revealed a simple lesson to me.  We're like that truck.  It had been wasting away somewhere when someone came along and decided it was worth value, pulled it from the dump, and started giving it a new life.  How like that is God!?  He finds us where we are, lost in our sin, worthless and falling apart, and sees our value and what we can become.  He pulls us from the dump and changes us from the inside out, restoring our hearts, which is then reflected in our bodies.  Soon, we're functioning again, working for His kingdom and His glory.
A rescued vehicle which is beautiful just on the outside isn't what someone expects.  When a vehicle is restored, the interior is also done, which is the way God works.  If you feel like you've been discarded and left to decay, remember that God knows where you are and wants to pull you from the trash heap of Satan's kingdom to bring you into newness of life and complete restoration in Him.  All you have to do is say yes to the price He paid -- Jesus!

No comments:

Post a Comment