Friday, January 25, 2013

Our Grocery Stores

Okay, I'll admit that my posts are all over the place - and this is just another example of the diversity in my posts and is something that has concerned me for a long time.  Our "grocery" stores in America need to be revamped - in my opinion. 
I shop every Thursday night at my favorite store because Thursday's are senior discount day and I can save 5% off my entire bill, which amounts to about $20 - $25 per month in savings.  As I was wandering the aisles last evening (I never go without a list, but I walk all the aisles to make sure to get something that I need that's not on my list), I realized how many aisles of the store are devoted to junk food, and I estimated that half of the store is just that - junk food. 
I've been changing our diet from good to better during the last two weeks, incorporating whole grains, such as quinoa, barley and couscous, on a daily basis.  I'm no longer eating Greek yogurt for lunch every day but am eating instead salads with those grains or with spinach.  So shopping for food now includes perusing nutrition labels constsantly.  And I've come to a conclusion.  We say that the poor can't afford to eat nutritous, healthy foods because of their cost, so they choose the "cheaper" foods, which are highly processed and high in calories, but I no longer think that's true.  A box/bag (12 oz.) of quinoa sells for about $4.50 and will make about 8 cups of nutritious filling food while a bag of tortilla chips (16 oz.) is just that, 16 ounces of crunchy chips that are neither good for you nor filling yet cost about the same.  Fresh vegetables are cheaper when they're offered as "sale" items, as well as when they're in season.  Cooked hot cereals are more nutritous and filling than their dry processed counterparts and, when purchased in large containers, are very cheap.  Bread is highly overrated, and I say that with regret because I love to bake and eat homemade bread!  I haven't had a slice of bread in about 2 weeks, and the only breads in the house are wholegrain English muffins and pita bread.  Sweets are hazardous to my health! 
Grocery stores, in my opinion, should have less space designated to fatty, sugary, processed foods and more space designated to whole grains and fresh fruits and vegetables.  There are such stores around, usually called "health food stores," but the sad thing is they tend to charge more for items which can be purchased in regular grocery stores, which is a problem for those on a limited budget.  Also, people need to use their dollars for food more wisely, educate themselves on nutrition and healthy eating, and carefully choose foods that offer more bang for their buck.
The obesity problem in America is a national problem.  People who are overweight think they're of normal weight, clothes sizes have gotten bigger (not the number, but the actual garments), and restaurants are everywhere, offering up huge portions of food for reasonable cost.  Few families actually eat at home most of the time, eating out instead to circumvent the work required to cook a meal.
God has created food for our enjoyment, and the foods that grow naturally (fruit, vegetables, grains) are the best for us.  I think it's sad that so many people simply destroy their health by eating foods that do them no good other than tantalize their taste buds, which is a momentary pleasure.
I'm planning on stirring up something with some left over turkey and barley for dinner.  Good eating needs to return to the home.  I think you'll agree.   

No comments:

Post a Comment