Saturday, September 29, 2012

Disappointed

I'm sure everyone has looked forward to something with great anticipation only to be disappointed. Well, I"m disappointed right now. I'm home sitting at this computer and not at our campsite on Fall's Lake. Oh, our stuff is there, but we're not because the rain won't stop. We had a beautiful day yesterday with temperatures climbing into the 80's, and the forecast was for a 30% chance of showers last night and a 50% chance today, so we thought we'd take a chance on going to the campsite and not cancelling our reservation made several weeks ago. So I took the day off, gathered all the gear and food, and we headed out mid-afternoon. After setting up camp, we were just about to eat dinner when the rain started falling; it had been sunny only an hour earlier. We quickly stretched a tarp over our screened tent over the picnic table or we would have gotten soaked while eating. The rain continued unabated through the night, tossing in one pretty good thunderstorm that woke us up. In the morning, our tent was sitting in about an inch of water. Thankfully, our air mattress was on top of 2 cots, so we were dry, but the water had made the soil under the tent mushy and had ponded at one end of the tent.
My disappointment doesn't some so much that we're not camping but that our grandsons won't get the experience. Two of them were going to join us today and spend tonight in another tent, which we thankfully had not yet set up. With a stream of showers heading in our direction, Bob and I decided to come home (the campsite is only 13 miles away) and take it easy in our dry house. I fixed bacon and eggs on our camp stove and brewed coffee for breakfast, but I was literally standing in an inch of mud as the rain continued to fall after a break in the wee hours of the morning. Those conditions were no place for a 10-year-old, a 5-year-old and a 3-year-old. The fishing and canoeing that we had planned aren't happening, and I'm bummed.
We'll be going to our son's house for dinner, and a tent will be erected in the play room over the garage for the kids to sleep in to ease their disappointment. The boys especially have been talking about nothing else for the last week - camping with Nana and sleeping in a tent. I'll leave the loaf of cinnamon raisin bread that I made so they can have French toast with it in the morning.
Bob and I will return to the campsite tomorrow morning; the rain is supposed to end tonight, but I don't want to sleep in a wet tent standing in mud. We may fix breakfast there if things have dried out enough, but we'll have to dismantle the campsite even if things are still wet. Our son and the boys will join us if the weather has broken, and maybe we'll get in some fishing, canoeing, and cooking over the campfire before we have to vacate the site.
No more long-range planning of camping trips for me. If it's a nice weekend, we'll simply go for one night on the spur of the moment. November in North Carolina can be quite nice temperature wise. In the meantime, Bob is napping, and I'm going to work on my Bible study of the Book of James.

No comments:

Post a Comment