Sunday, February 20, 2011

Frustrations and Blessings

My life has seemingly turned into a parade of physicians.  I'm learning that, even though one does the "right" things in life to take care of oneself -- eating healthy, exercising, not smoking or drinking -- there is no guarantee of health as one ages.  A year and a half ago, after experiencing unexplained leg cramps and twitching in my legs, I was diagnosed with restless leg syndrome which, in and of itself, is not life threatening, but it does impact one's life, as anyone with RLS can tell you.  Sleep is difficult, and if a person is tired, every facet of life is affected.  Medication helps, but cramping and twitching are still a constant problem.  I've learned how to relax instead of tightening up when my legs and/or feet cramp; I've learned how to move so I don't get cramps; and I've learned that sometimes there's nothing I can do about it.  So I have a neurologist, along with a family physician.
Last week I had a stress test, the first for me, and watched my heart on an ultrasound screen -- pretty amazing to see one's heart beating -- and I've added a cardiologist to my list of physicians.  Much to my dismay, I'm now taking medication for RLS, heart palpitations, and a sleeping pill so I can sleep because of the intenstity of the leg movements and the heart palpitations!  However, I am seeing the palpitations lessen, and that's a relief, and the sleeping pills are getting me 6-7 hours of straight sleep where before I was wakening 4 - 10 times a night.  Deep sleep was impossible!
I'm trying to work through these physical frustrations, knowing that my blessings far outweigh them.  Like I said, they are not life-threatening; they are manageable.  My husband and I are blessed with all of our children living close by, which means that we are part of our grandchildren's lives.  Many grandchildren see their grandparents once in a while, while others never get to know theirs due to death.  I think that is the greatest blessing that God has bestowed on us -- being close to every child and grandchild -- and even though life throws unexpected physical frustrations my way, I can focus on what's good and worthy of praise and gratitude.  Adjustments can be made to live fully within the scope of those frustrations as I give them to my God. 
As an aside, my husband and I dug up and transplanted a 12-foot tall Magnolia tree yesterday -- what were we thinking?!  (Actually, it was Bob's idea, not mine!)  I told him that he had to promise me that there would be no more tree moving (we relocated a maple tree 3 years ago, and thankfully, it's thriving), and I told him that a 63-year-old man and a 61-year-old woman had no business doing such work!  It's a blessing that we survived!  Hopefully, the tree will also survive! 

No comments:

Post a Comment